During NXT TakeOver: WarGames, Corey Graves wrote a tweet which was critical of NXT commentator Mauro Ranallo. He tweeted: “Just for the record guys. I know you wouldn’t know it, but there’s actually a WWE Hall of Famer AND a former Ring of Honor Champion on commentary. I’d imagine they have a lot to offer.” Since then, Ranallo has deleted his twitter account and did not appear at Survivor Series, or last night’s episode of NXT.
Graves has since apologised for the tweet. At the start of the After The Bell podcast he said: “On a personal note, I need to address something. This past Saturday during the TakeOver: WarGames event I sent out a tweet. It was an unpopular opinion, as I often do with the intention of just stirring up a little controversy. Maybe to have something fun to talk about on TV or here on the show. It was maybe not the most professional way to go about things, and it was never meant to offend or disrespect or disparage anybody. That was never my intention. If it was taken as such, I apologise deeply. That was not my intention. I would never intentionally cause anybody any undue stress, especially a co-worker. So, I apologise.”
During Wednesday’s episode of NXT, Ranallo was replaced by Tom Phillips. His colleague Beth Phoenix said that she looked forward to seeing him on next week’s episode.
However, according to Dave Meltzer, Ranallo is in: “rough shape” and there was no guarantee he would be back by then. Meltzer elaborated: “He’s in rough shape. That’s basically it. I think everyone kind of knows what the situation is. It was pretty bad the last couple of days. So…its a day by day thing. There’s no way of knowing what’s gonna happen next. We’ve spoken a lot about it, and it’s probably worse than we said.”