Big E: Me Winning The WWE Title "Was Not The Plan"
Not the plan Big E heard
Big E has revealed that him winning the WWE Championship "was not the plan" at the beginning of his solo push.
The new WWE Champion had been a tag team wrestler since 2015 but he was given a solo push from the summer of 2020 after both Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods were on the sidelines with injuries.
Big E noted at the time that he had been told where his push "may go" and the 35-year-old told the Daily Star him winning the WWE Championship "was not the plan that I'd heard."
"I'm trying to remember what I was alluding to - [it was] maybe the Intercontinental Championship which was kind of in the works for a bit. But I had heard talks years ago about maybe putting the title on me - or possibly becoming a world champion - multiple times, but that kind of came and went every time," he added.
"It's kind of hard to fathom getting here, but in many ways it's not. So many of my peers had been so kind, and so many people over the years had said 'yeah, this is something that you're ready for' or 'that you deserve these opportunities.' I guess over time I kind of thought 'yeah, I guess I am!'"
Big E cashed in his Money In The Bank briefcase and defeated Bobby Lashley for the WWE Championship on the September 13 edition of Raw. He has since successfully defended the WWE Title against Lashley inside a Steel Cage.