Cain Velasquez Denied Bail In Attempted Murder Case
Velasquez will remain in jail
Former WWE talent Cain Velasquez has been denied bail as he awaits trial on attempted murder charges.
Judge Shelyna Brown denied Velasquez bail on the grounds there was a substantial risk his release would result in "great bodily injury."
"It is clear to this court that there is clear and convincing evidence that there is a substantial likelihood that release would result in great bodily injury, not just to the named complaining witnesses in this case but to Santa Clara residents at large. This case involves allegations of extreme recklessness to human life," the judge said.
"Ramming a vehicle in the middle of the day where our citizens are out driving, going about their business and shooting out of a car at other individuals, which is reckless by any standard. Anyone could have been injured. Anyone could have been killed and when this court looks at article 1, section 12, it is this level of risk that the court must take into consideration. With that said, this court is making the ruling that the risk is too great and that there will be no bail set at this time."
Velasquez's attorney argued the former UFC Heavyweight Champion wasn't a flight risk and the court received 37 letters of support for the former WWE talent but bail was still denied. Velasquez will be back in court on April 12 for another hearing.
The former UFC fighter was arrested on February 28 after he was allegedly involved in an 11-mile high-speed chase and fired at a vehicle carrying Harry Eugene Goularte, his stepfather and another individual. Velasquez hit the stepfather, who is expected to live.
Goularte was recently charged with molesting a relative of Velasquez's.
Velasquez was charged with attempted premeditated murder and nine other charges last week.
H/T to MMA Fighting