The 38-year-old SmackDown performer posted on his personal Twitter and Instagram that he requested his release on Tuesday evening.
Dillinger did not indicate what WWE's response was to said request.
Said Dillinger in his statements on social media:
"Before rumors begin to spread, let me set things straight ahead of time:
This evening, I requested my release from WWE. In the past 5 and a half years with them, I have seen and done some wonderful things. Things that I am very proud of and will never forget. I have met and have worked with unquestionably, some of the greatest talent on this earth and the pleasure has been all mine.
I feel at this time this decision, as extremely difficult as it was, is what is best for myself and WWE. I wish to continue to grow as a performer and offer those paying hard earned money to watch a show I'm performing on, a little more of myself.
To the male and female locker rooms, coaches and producers, to the production/ring crew, all the way up to the very top of WWE and most of all the fans...I wish you all the very best and thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything."
Dillinger re-signed with WWE in September 2013, after having previously worked for the company between 2006 and 2009, under the names Gavin Spears and Shawn Spears. In his second run, he was called up to the main roster in early 2017, working exclusively on the SmackDown brand.