Winner Of New Japan Cup 2021 Revealed
Was it Shingo or Ospreay?
After a three-week tournament featuring multiple match of the year contenders, the New Japan Cup 2021 came down to Shingo Takagi and Will Ospreay in the final at Xebio Arena Sendai in Sendai, Japan.
Both men fought back and forth during the 30-minute match but Will Ospreay ultimately picked up the win after he blocked repeated Last Of The Dragon attempts and connected with Hidden Blade and Stormbreaker. This came after The Commonwealth Kingpin had already connected with two OsCutters, including one from the turnbuckle to the outside, and a 450 Splash through a table.
The post-match angle overshadowed the final, though. Kota Ibushi entered the ring with both belts while Ospreay celebrated and the Brit told The Golden Star he will do whatever it takes to win the gold because he loves wrestling more than anything or anyone. Ospreay then took a brief pause before he laid out his girlfriend Bea Priestley with a Cutter.
Having won the New Japan Cup 2021, Will Ospreay will face Kota Ibushi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship at Sakura Genesis on April 4.
Check out the full results from the New Japan Cup 2021 final below:
• Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., & DOUKI def. Yota Tsuji, Yuya Uemura & Gabriel Kidd
• Jeff Cobb & Great-O-Khan def. Tomoaki Honma & Satoshi Kojima
• Yujiro Takahashi, KENTA & EVIL def. YOSHI-HASHI, SHO & Toru Yano
• SANADA, Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI def. Toa Henare & FinJuice
• Kota Ibushi, Kazuchika Okada & Hiroshi Tanahashi def. Chase Owens, Jay White & Bad Luck Fale
• Will Ospreay def. Shingo Takagi - New Japan Cup 2021 Final