Earlier today, New Japan Pro-Wrestling announced they will be returning on June 15 with the Together Project Special. This special event will then be followed by the New Japan Cup 2020 which will run from June 16 to July 11. The tournament is open to both junior heavyweights and heavyweights for the first time and the winner will face IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champion Tetsuya Naito at Dominion on July 12.
New Japan revealed the brackets for the tournament earlier today. They have changed greatly from the original plan for the tournament as wrestlers not currently residing in Japan, including Will Ospreay, "Switchblade" Jay White, Jeff Cobb, Toa Henare, and Juice Robinson, have been pulled from the cup. This is because all arrivals in Japan have to go into quarantine for 14 days.
The first round of the left bracket will take place on June 16 and June 17. The right bracket will follow on June 22 and June 23. The events will take place without fans and will be broadcast on NJPW World at 11 am BST each day.
Check out the first round brackets below:
• Togi Makabe vs. Yota Tsuji - June 16
• Tomohiro Ishii vs. El Desperado - June 16
• Toru Yano vs. Jado - June 16
• Tomoaki Honma vs. Hiromu Takahashi - June 16
• Kazuchika Okada vs. Gedo - June 17
• Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki - June 17
• Yuya Uemura vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru - June 17
• Gabriel Kidd vs. Taiji Ishimori - June 17
• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Taichi - June 22
• Kota Ibushi vs. Zack Sabre Jr. - June 22
• Ryusuke Taguchi vs. SANADA - June 22
• SHO vs. Shingo Takagi - June 22
• Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. YOSHI-HASHI - June 23
• YOH vs. BUSHI - June 23
• Satoshi Kojima vs. EVIL - June 23
• Hirooki Goto vs. Yujiro Takahashi - June 23