Bronson Reed Reportedly Failed To Impress Vince McMahon In WWE Main Roster Tryouts
Reed was released by WWE last Friday
More details have reportedly emerged regarding WWE's shock decision to release Bronson Reed.
Reed was one of 13 names from NXT who departed WWE last Friday amid further budget cuts to the black-and-gold brand. Of the individuals who were let go, Reed was undoubtedly one of the more surprising, given recent reports that the former North American Champion was set for an imminent call-up to the main roster.
The 32-year-old had competed in a number of dark matches ahead of WWE Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown in recent weeks, as well as making his main roster debut on Main Event a few weeks ago, and Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter says Reed failed to impress Vince McMahon during those bouts.
Officials from inside the promotion, according to Meltzer, said that the WWE Chairman decided against Reed being a part of either the Raw or SmackDown brand after seeing him in action. When the time came to make more cuts, the thought process was that if Reed was not going to be on the main roster, there was no point in keeping him on the books.
Reed admitted in a video statement earlier this week that he was 'very shocked and upset' by his release from WWE. The Australian had signed with the promotion in 2019 and was last seen in the main event of the July 27 NXT, in a losing effort against Adam Cole.