Kevin Nash Missed WCW Starrcade 1997 Due To Brownies Mishap

Kevin Nash’s WCW Starrcade 1997 absence was due to brownies mishap

Starrcade 1997 should have been World Championship Wrestling's biggest-ever night, but in hindsight is seen as one of the biggest blunders in professional wrestling history.

Outside of the fumbled ending of the main event between Hollywood Hogan and Sting, Starrcade was meant to feature former NWO stablemates The Giant and Kevin Nash clashing in singles action, but ‘Big Sexy’ was absent after complaining of chest pains.

Nash’s father died young of a heart attack, and not wanting to suffer the same fate Nash informed WCW he would not be competing at the event. In a recent episode of Kliq This, Nash delved into what happened, revealing a mishap with brownies was to blame for his absence:

"Okay, true story. My mother-in-law and her husband were in Arizona for Christmas, and a buddy of mine made me a pan of pot brownies because I knew I wouldn’t be able to smoke because my mother-in-law was there. This is back in my Soma days, I had a little bit of problem, it was muscle relaxers. It was Christmas, man. I was drinking a little bourbon, drinking a little beer, drinking a little wine, drinking a little champagne, having some Somas, having some Xanax. So all of a sudden man, and I have no idea, but my buddy says to me, ‘Where those brownies at?’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ He said, ‘Man, there’s like an ounce of weed in that.’ I’m like. ‘Oh, f***.’ It’s like eating bud with chocolate on it, is basically what it was. It was like eating grass.

"So that s*** started to kick in, and it took a while, and I had this big house. I had a couch that was huge, and I sat in it, and I swear to you, man, the thing just ate me. I got heavier and heavier and heavier. Finally, I got up and I walked down [to another room]. It was easy the length of a bowling alley that I had to walk through to get to the master. As I walked, I just started f****** sweating. So I thought, ‘f***, man, am I having a heart attack?’ So I went in the master, and this is ‘97. I’m looking at my wife’s closet door, and I take my shirt off because I’m sweating through it. I look, man, and I’m f****** grey. I’m just f****** grey. I said, ‘man, am I having a heart attack?’ So I go outside. It was cold as f***, there was steam coming off me. I walk back inside and I sat down on the f****** bed, and I put my hand [on my neck,] and I was all f***** up, I couldn’t count ten seconds. At this point like yeah, let me self-diagnose, before WebMD. I said, I’m not gonna take the chance, dying on Christmas. I always had that thing because my father died of a heart attack, and so I called," Nash said.

Nash continues, detailing his experiences with the EMT who came to assess him:

"The guy comes in, the guy's Australian. I said ‘I think I might be having a heart attack’. He goes, ‘Why’s that?’ I said, ‘I don’t know, I just don’t feel real good. I said I feel f***** up.’ He says, ‘You having a hard time breathing?’ I said, ‘Man, I’m having a hard time, just… yeah, I guess, I don’t know. I’m so f****** wasted.’ The guy said, ‘What have you taken?’ I start naming this f****** list. The guy says, ‘Is this a suicide attempt?’ I said, ‘No, man. It’s Christmas.’ [Laughs] I said, ‘No, it’s Christmas. I’m not gonna kill myself on Christmas, man. I’m just f***** up.’ He says, ‘I guess.’

"So they take me to Scottsdale North Hospital, and I go in there, and they do a PET scan on me. Because my diaphragm was so thick, you can’t get the image. So the guy that’s working on Christmas, he’s going to diagnose me, and the guy says, ‘I can’t find the bottom of your heart. It’s not showing up.’ So they put a heart monitor on me, I’m fine. I don’t have any symptoms. But when they take my blood, there’s an enzyme when you have a heart attack that goes through the roof. Well, I also fucking that day trained legs and back because I had the key to the gym. So of course, I’ve got a high level of this enzyme because I’ve broken down so much muscle tissue from working out. I spent the night at the hospital, and I’m like, ‘Oh, f***.’

"I called Eric [Bischoff], I said, ‘I think I’ve had a heart attack. They think I’ve had a heart attack.’ Eric’s like, ‘Alright’ I gave him the number of where I was, and then the next day came, and he’s like, ‘I’m sending a private plane for you.’ It ended up, Scott [Hall] had to work double duty. I wasn’t gonna tell anybody, ‘I’m so f***** up,'" Nash said

The WWE Hall of Famer was kept in for observations before being given the all-clear:

"The nurse came in, she said, ‘I want you to walk around so you can…’ I’m thinking, ‘Do you have any idea how f****** high I am?’ [Laughs] I was there for 24 hours under observation, and the doctor comes in the next day, he says, ‘Not only did you not have any heart problems last night, you didn’t have one irregular heartbeat, which is unbelievable.’ He said most people would have something. I’m like, okay. He says, ‘You can go.’ So I go, and I go back to the house," Nash said.

H/T: Fightful

Share this post

Ric Flair Says He Wants "To Die In The Limelight"

Absent WWE Talent Reveals New Look Amid Return Rumours

Written by Jack Atkins

Scripts, news, and features writer. Anything with words, basically.