Report: Alberto Del Rio's Trial Pushed Back Again
The trial was originally supposed to begin in January
The trial of Alberto Del Rio (real name José Alberto Rodríguez Chucuan) has been postponed again, Mike Johnson of PWInsider has reported.
Del Rio was originally scheduled to stand trial in January 2021 but proceedings were postponed until May in a last-minute ruling. The trial was then pushed back again to August 2 and has now been postponed until Monday, October 25 in San Antonio, Texas.
Several documents were filed before the court on August 3, PWInsider noted, but the trial did not begin and the new trial date of October 25 has been listed.
The former WWE Champion was indicted by a grand jury on four counts of sexual assault and one count of aggravated kidnapping in October 2020.
Del Rio was initially arrested in May and the police report noted a female accuser told authorities the wrestler kidnapped and then sexually assaulted and assaulted her. Del Rio also allegedly forced the woman to dance for him after he threatened to drop her son "in the middle of the road somewhere."
The female accuser issued an apology to Del Rio's family in November 2020, but charges have not been dropped by prosecutors.
Del Rio recently commented on the case while speaking to Cageside Seats' Shakiel Mahjouri and the former WWE Champion believes it's just "a matter of time" until the case is dismissed.
"It's still going. It's still pending. But we're just waiting. Everything is looking good. I have said what I needed to say in the past. Unfortunately, I can no longer talk about it because every time I say something, it affects my case. I went out and I said what I was approved to say. That ended up hurting me a little bit. All I can say is that the truth always comes to light. We're doing good. The authorities in Texas are doing their job," Del Rio said.
"My legal team is doing a fantastic job. It's just a matter of time. It's really difficult for me and my family to hear those things. Everybody talks about the five years to life in prison. That sounds horrible, but why does nobody say, 'Or he's going to be proven innocent.' I have already said it. She has already withdrawn her charges. He has already talked to the DA's [District Attorney's] office and told them the truth. She apologised and gave us a public apology and everything. Everything people need to know is out there. I share a lot of stuff in the past but unfortunately, I can't talk about it. What was supposed to be over last week got delayed because somebody got upset and I understand [it]. Me being me, a high-profile case. It's difficult. As I said in my previous interviews, call me whatever, but I didn't do any of those things."