Roman Reigns Tests Positive For COVID-19, WWE Day 1 Main Event Changed
Lesnar to challenge for the WWE Title
While Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar were originally scheduled to face off for the Universal Championship at Day 1, that match was scrapped earlier today after the Universal Champion tested positive for COVID-19.
Brock Lesnar has instead been added to tonight's WWE Title match, making it a Fatal 5-Way. The Beast Incarnate will challenge Big E for the gold along with Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins and Bobby Lashley.
Roman Reigns has since reacted to his positive COVID-19 test, writing: "I yearn to perform tonight at #WWEDay1 to defend my Universal Championship. However, unfortunately, earlier today I tested positive for COVID-19. Due to the proper protocols I am unable to compete as originally scheduled. I look forward to returning to action as soon as possible."
The Universal Champion's positive test comes after he was removed from the Christmas Holiday house show tour to reduce the risk of him catching COVID-19 ahead of the January 1 pay-per-view. Several WWE Superstars and staff members have tested positive for coronavirus in the past couple of weeks.
Day 1 is set to get underway at 1 am GMT/ 8 pm ET. Fans in the United States can watch the show on Peacock, while international fans can catch the pay-per-view on the WWE Network.
The updated Day 1 card is as follows:
- Big E (c) vs. Seth Rollins vs. Kevin Owens vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Brock Lesnar - WWE Championship
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Liv Morgan - Raw Women's Championship
- The Usos (c) vs. The New Day - SmackDown Tag Team Championship
- Edge vs. The Miz
- Drew McIntyre vs. Madcap Moss
- RK-Bro (c) vs. The Street Profits - Raw Tag Team Championship
- Sheamus & Ridge Holland vs. Cesaro & Ricochet - Kickoff Show