Will Ospreay Retains IWGP World Heavyweight Championship At NJPW Wrestling Dontaku
After a 44-minute main event
Two of the best in the world went one on one earlier today as Will Ospreay defended the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship against Shingo Takagi.
Both men battled back and forth for over 40 minutes in another long NJPW main event and Ospreay picked up the win after he escaped a Last Of The Dragon attempt and followed up with a Spinning Elbow, a Rainmaker, a Hidden Blade and a Stormbreaker.
With Ospreay's win, he will move on to Wrestle Grand Slam at Tokyo Dome and defend the gold against his former friend Kazuchika Okada on May 29. The Rainmaker came out on top in their previous encounter at Wrestle Kingdom 15.
Before the main event, there was serious disruption to the Wrestling Dontaku card. NJPW announced just before the show that two wrestlers had COVID-19 symptoms and Kazuchika Okada, Minoru Suzuki, SHO, YOH, El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru were all pulled from the event. Two of the matches still went ahead shorthanded, but the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title match between Despe and YOH was scrapped.
Four matches did still take place outside of the main event, though. Check out the results below:
• Dangerous Tekkers & DOUKI def. Jado & Guerrillas Of Destiny
• Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi def. Master Wato & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
• Jeff Cobb, Aaron Henare & Great-O-Khan def. BUSHI, SANADA & Tetsuya Naito
• Toru Yano, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Rysukue Taguchi def. Dick Togo, Jay White & EVIL
• Will Ospreay def. Shingo Takagi - IWGP World Heavyweight Championship