Pro Wrestling Rumours - Aug. 31, 2025: Vince McMahon Party Details, Backstage ROH News
Latest news including details about Vince McMahon's 80th birthday party
.jpg&w=3840&q=75)
Aug 31, 2025
As WWE heads towards its Clash In Paris 2025 PLE later on today, there are several rumours and reports circulating around the rest of the professional wrestling world, including details surrounding Vince McMahon’s 80th birthday party, with it being revealed earlier this week that many current WWE names were in attendance, and some backstage news regarding recent Ring Of Honor booking.
It was revealed during the week that Vince McMahon’s 80th birthday celebrations featured a whole host of recognisable names, especially with an image emerging of the likes of Drew McIntyre, Sheamus, The Miz, Maryse, Jerry Lawler, and Titus O’Neil posing in a photo at the event. Among others reported to be in attendance were the likes of John Cena, Michelle McCool, The Undertaker, Kane, Gerald Briscoe, Bruce Prichard, JBL, Sgt. Slaughter, R-Truth, and Shane McMahon.
Another man in attendance was former General Manager and WWE personality Teddy Long, who gave some details regarding the event in an interview with Sportskeeda.
“The first night was a very good night. The opening and stuff. Vince finally came and I had a real good conversation with him. It was nice. Some of the things I won’t repeat because that was between me and him. First thing he said to me was, ‘It’s so nice to see you. It’s so good to see you.’ I thanked him for everything he’s done for me. Saturday night, for the birthday party, I got in and I just go and sit down at a table. They come and got me and said, ‘You’re at Vince’s table.’ Only talent at that table was me and John Cena. That was it, me and Cena. I saw R-Truth come over, he sat down, but he wasn’t at the table.”
“He didn’t look bad to me. I don’t understand what people are talking about. His face looked like it might have been a little swole or something like that, but he looked nice to me. He had on a nice suit both nights. He was getting around, moving around, he looked great to me.”
Long was then asked if he believed a Vince McMahon return to WWE was likely.
“You never know with Vince. I’ve watched him a little bit before the birthday party got started. Kevin Dunn was there, and Vince had his headset on, which reminded me of him at TV walking around and doing his thing. I think it was great for him too because he was like back at work. He loves this. It was great watching him maneuver and see some of the stuff he did on TV. He was back at work and that did a lot for him.”
A report emerged earlier this week that WWE had no plans in bringing back Vince McMahon.
H/T Fightful
ROH’s Death Before Dishonor PPV is officially in the history books as the promotion took over the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia on Friday Night. At the show, the tournament to crown the inaugural ROH Women’s Pure Champion began, with Queen Aminata defeating Taya Valkyrie in the quarter-finals. When it comes to the plans for this tournament, many of the talent were initially left in the dark about what was going on in the division.
Fightful Select have noted that there were no concrete plans for the tournament or title until the last week of August prior to Death Before Dishonor, with plans surfacing around the same time as the announcement took place for the tournament. Tony Khan was affected by injuries in the past, delaying his ROH Women’s Pure Title plans, with it even getting to the point that a lack of updates on the title led to some speculation that the concept had been abandoned. Other names included in the tournament are Deonna Purrazzo, Trish Adora, Billie Starkz, Olympia, Serena Deeb and Yuka Sakazaki.
Viewers for ROH Death Before Dishonor were hampered by some streaming issues on select platforms, though Fightful Select has stated that the company was very happy with the response to the show’s airing on YouTube due to the buzz it created.
Fans have often posed the question of why WWE doesn’t use talent who are out with injuries in non-wrestling roles. In 2024, CM Punk was utilised despite being on the shelf to continue his feud with Drew McIntyre, but this approach is very much of a rarity in WWE. With Liv Morgan being ruled out of action and needing surgery earlier this year, some WWE fans have once again asked why she hasn’t been used.
In a Fightful Select Q&A, Sean Ross Sapp gave some reasoning as to why WWE doesn’t bring injured talent onto TV during their recovery. It is stated that the reason goes beyond just wanting pops and waiting to use talent until when they’re ready, and that it is mostly due to their contracts. He explains that WWE often freezes contracts when wrestlers are out with an injury, with them able to extend deals based upon time out of the ring. If WWE were to use them as managers or in any other capacity, then they are unable to freeze the deal.
In many ways, WWE would perhaps be wasting the time on a contract for a wrestler if they were to use them during an injured period. In the case of Morgan, recent reports suggested that she wouldn’t be back until 2026.
Those live at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia on AEW Dynamite, and later in videos shared on social media by AEW for fans elsewhere to see, were able to enjoy AEW announcer Taz surprised with a tribute and announcement that he’d be getting inducted into the 2300 Arena Hardcore Hall Of Fame.
Tony Khan revealed that this would take place during the AEW Collision/ROH tapings last night on August 30. However, this was delayed until the September 3 episode of AEW Dynamite, which will also take place in the 2300 Arena, with the promotion spending a multi-week residency at the venue.
Tony Khan noted that Taz would be getting inducted on Wednesday instead, and this was due to Taz requesting a delay to get more of his friends and family to Philadelphia to attend. PWInsider noted that AEW officials planned this surprise and that Taz was unaware beforehand. Taz's son, Hook, was in attendance along with Taz's wife for the announcement, with this coming after his return to Dynamite earlier in the night in which he was accompanied with a brand new theme song.
Trey Miguel was scheduled to compete at TNA’s Slammiversary 2025 PPV, but he revealed prior to the event that he needed to undergo surgery, as TNA had announced earlier in the month that he was sidelined with a hernia. He was ultimately pulled from challenging for the TNA World Tag Team Championships in a ladder match, being replaced by Myron Reed in The Rascalz. Miguel had initially intended to compete, or at least alluded to wrestling, but he was ultimately taken out of the bout.
Taking to social media over this weekend, Miguel has made the announcement that he is cleared to compete. He revealed a doctors note;
“It is in my medical opinion that Trey McBreyer may return to full duty immediately with no restrictions.”
Miguel captioned the post by saying, “See you soon everyone.”
Following ROH’s Death Before Dishonor PPV on Friday night, the next set of tapings for ROH weekly programming took place both before and after the Saturday August 30 episode of AEW Collision at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.
The following are spoilers from ROH’s latest tapings, courtesy of PWInsider.